Sunday, October 21, 2012

Green thunb

Green thumb: noun: an extraordinary ability to make plants grow well.

 I have lots of really great "growers" in my life. My dad is a tomato grower extraordinaire. As well as potatoes, peppers, squash and a list of other things in his garden. He's just more well known for the tomatoes. And why not bask in the fame, they're stinkin hard to grow. Some of you even know that my brother Nathan got his Ph.D in plant genetics. He's written a book people! Fact is, I am just not one of them. I have here for you today proof of that. 

Kallam will attest to the fact that every year I get super pumped up about growing stuff. "This will be the year" I always say. This was the year that there would be no excuse of "well the 110+ temp cooked my plants" or the excuse of "it would've kept growing, but its in a cup, and I don't have a yard to plant it in". This was the year that I was going to earn my green thumb!  We slaved all summer pulling weeds, tilling dirt, planting and watering. I even spoke to them, giving them pep talks when no one was watching. Around September I gave up. Nothing worked. Nothing happened. Things had sprouted and grown, with no fruit to be had. Then today my old planters caught my eye. I have neglected these things for more than a whole month. There, on a shriveled plant was a tomato. I ran to the back yard, and the whole back yard was filled with raspberries! Can you believe it. All this time, my plants just wanted me to get out of their way. Here's a look at what my plants did when I stopped trying. Does this work with kids too? Just asking for future reference. 




Its green I know, but its freezing every night so if it wanted a fighting chance it shoulda showed up sooner! 











































1 comment: